Sunday, September 13, 2015

Close, but No Cigar II


Here is more evidence of how hummingbirds can visit the area without actually visiting the feeder. If you look to the left of the hook on the hanging plant, you will see a little female just sitting there on the rope.


As I said yesterday, they seemed to prefer the large branch with which I propped up the rope line more than the little branches I had installed for them. When a female such as this young bird feels it is trespassing, it becomes a little nervous, looks a little guilty, and will perch on the pole so it has a good view of the surrounding area.


I don't see them land on large branches like this one very often.


This is a young female probably trying to look inconspicuous.


I believe this is the grand dame. You can see how different her feathers look from the young bird in the last image. The feathers on the top of her head are what make me think it is the Alpha bird.

While you cannot see the feeder, it is below the pole in all of these photos. Every one of these photos were probably taken on different days. I don't want to give the impression that they were landing there a lot in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment