Friday, September 11, 2015

A Surprise Guest Drops In


Sometimes you see things you just don't expect to see. Come to think of it, I guess the birds don't expect to see it either. A hummingbird came to the feeder a couple of days ago and suddenly acted very startled. I had seen something drop through the field of view on the camera, but it went by fast and I didn't get a good look at it.


It turned out to be a worm on a silken thread that stopped it's free fall a little below the feeder. The hummingbird was like, "What the hey?"


The bird buzzed around it, examining it from different angles. I was a little surprised it didn't try to eat it. You may remember me posting a few different pictures just a couple of weeks ago where birds had green worms on the menu.


After determining that the worm didn't pose a threat, the hummingbird turned and decided to work over the blossoms on the Torenia.


It would never have turned it's back on the worm if it thought it was in any danger.


The hummingbird left and, while I waited for it to return, I watched the worm slowly inch it's way back up the thread. I thought the thread originated on the rope where the feeder was hanging.


Turned out, though, the silk thread originated much higher in the trees overhead. It was going to be a long climb for the worm. Near as I could figure, the other end of the thread had to be fifty or sixty feet up in the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment