Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Do They or Don't They?


I had a friend once whose brother called and asked what he was doing. He replied that he was watching a hummingbird (with binoculars) that had landed in a tree. His brother said it couldn't be a hummingbird because they don't have any feet. We both got a good laugh out of that one! We were like a couple of minions — "Bottom..."


They are so tiny and their feet are so weak that I guess it wouldn't be hard to arrive at that conclusion.


Unless you see them land, they can be very hard to spot. This little female landed very close on a potted crepe myrtle limb. She was trying to determine if the grand dame that lays claim to the honey pot was anywhere near.


Sitting on the rope makes it easier to see their feet. I had put up some small branches as props for them to land on, but they preferred the rope, so after a while I quit even trying. Looks like the moon in the background, doesn't it? It is just a specular highlight.

I can't quite remember if I posted this link last year. It has some truly amazing pictures of a hummingbird nest.

http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/hummingbirds/nest/

No comments:

Post a Comment