Monday, April 22, 2013

Back to the Garden



The cherry blossoms I posted recently were from previous years. Cherry blossoms bloom for a very brief period. If they last more than a week, that is a long time. Trees that still look good from a distance will reveal branches full of tattered blossoms after only a few days. The peak period for photographing them is very brief. 


A year is a long time to wait for a second chance to film them, so you need to plan accordingly. I was not able to make it to the park to photograph the cherry trees there this year. We had company for a few days and I didn't want to seem rude by disappearing for an hour or two each day. We have a wild cherry, however, on the edge of the property (it actually belongs to my neighbor but, because of it's location, we get to enjoy it while they cannot see it).


That wild cherry is where I took these photos. In preparation, I reviewed past photos I had taken to see what had worked in what did not. It is part of a process I recommend for almost any subject. Your first attempt at capturing a subject - and I'm talking about capturing the essence of a subject - can almost always be improved on. And, reviewing what worked is a good way to do just that.


Having done that (by looking critically at the photos I posted a couple of weeks ago), I was prepared to look for the types of images I hoped to capture. In addition, I knew better what settings on the camera I was going to need to use to reach my goal. I was thrilled with the images I came away with. It was hard to stop shooting as I kept seeing new possibilities the more I looked. I shot over a period of three days before the decline in the blooms started to become noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment