Friday, April 19, 2013

Repurposing Photos



I hope you don't mind me covering other things besides birds for a while. I'm not shooting birds right now and I thought I could share some other ways to inspire photographers out there.

Here again, this photo was shot with the little Kodak digital camera in the side yard. One of the nice things about photography is that, if you are careful, you can make it look entirely different than it looks in "real life." Part of the trick is excluding distractions from the photo by careful framing. For example, this area is in the side yard of our house but you would never know it from looking at the photo because the house is not even shown. The side of the house, however, is just out of the frame on the right.

At the time, cassette tapes were still a common musical format and I would compile music on tape and create my own packaging for them, listing what songs were on the tape. If you think about it, a cover instantly tells you if you enjoy the music and you begin to associate the cover with how much you like the music.

For you who are into gardening, I built the walk myself using a neat little form that is available for the task. Since it is modular, I didn't have to do it all at once and was able to mix one or two bags of cement each evening after work until I finished the job. You can pretty much create any design you want as there are no even sides. By going back and filling in the cracks between stones later, you can plant small ground cover type plants or longer term, just let mosses take over. It has been a project I never regretted doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment