Sunday, April 14, 2013

Before Birds there was...



I was enamored with that Kodak digital camera I mentioned yesterday in my post. You have to remember, this was when digital images first came out and, after your initial expense of purchasing the camera, the image files themselves were like shooting for free. There were no costs of processing (at least in the traditional sense).

I have always had an interest in the architecture of beautiful homes. Maybe I got it from my mother. She has always had this same admiration for architecture. When I got the Kodak camera, one thing I did was go around looking for homes just to shoot them. I just enjoyed doing that.

This photo is a file from the Kodak camera and you can see, the image is surprisingly detailed for being such a small (2 MB) file. I think it speaks to the quality of the lens Kodak had put on the camera. The thing about shooting houses is I thought I would be viewed as some kind of a nut if I rang a person's doorbell and asked if I could take some pictures of their house. So, I would just shoot from the street.

Normally, I would have liked to have gotten closer to this house to better display the house itself, but I wasn't able to do that because of the limitation of shooting from the street. In hindsight, however, this became one of my favorite house images and it is precisely because it incorporates a lot of landscape.



I once had a professional photographer friend happen to see this image and complimented me on how nice he thought it was.  Coming from him, without any prompting, meant a lot to me.

Here is the final image, with all the adjustments made and the addition of a nice border. I believe you could make a good living in a niche market where you create large images of homes for the homeowner that they can display on their wall. People love their homes and are rightfully proud of them. I suspect taking photos of home owner's private gardens has the potential of being a profitable effort also.

No comments:

Post a Comment