Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Take Your Best Shot





Yes, we all have a visceral reaction to pictures of spiders like this one. Just like most any other photographic subject, though, they can be improved on by getting down to the subject's eye level.


Your reaction to this photo will speak to whether this one was more successful.


It may look like this spider is close enough to jump on me, but it isn't. The use of a telephoto lens will allow you to stay far enough away so that there is no danger. We have a couple of these tunnel spiders take up residence on our porch every summer. We leave them alone and they leave us alone. 


Now this jumping spider, on the other hand, was. On my other hand, I mean. Literally.  I felt something on my hand and looked down to see this spider on the back of my hand. My natural reaction was to flip it off and it landed on this leaf - which gives you some idea of it's size.  It was the biggest jumping spider I have ever seen.


Realizing the last picture didn't really convey the message I intended, I lay down on the driveway and got as close as I could using a 100 mm macro lens plus an additional close-up lens which got me really close. I named him Butch. You can see, though, how much better it is to get down to eye level to give your photos more impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment