Tuesday, April 2, 2013


Where's Waldo?


Now you see what those big honking feet are good for on the Green Heron. Somehow, this just strikes me as a classic pose for this bird.


Here is why I gave today's post the title I did.  Look how well he blends in with the habitat! If I didn't keep my eye on him, it was very hard to see where he had gotten off to until he moved.


He could walk on fallen logs, but the lily pads wouldn't support his weight, so he would have to fly to change where he hunted.




Here is another dive where you can see the school of fish jumping out of the way.


It doesn't look like he was successful on this dive. Here, again, is a bird with a very specific habitat. I have occasionally seen them on the river, but they are usually resting in trees and not along the river bank. In other words, they were just passing through the area. They prefer marshes and swamps and shallower water.

No comments:

Post a Comment